Introduction: Tax Breaks on Small Business Stock

It’s not often that the IRS gives tax breaks that benefit you. But such is the case with small business stocks.

  • You can exclude up to 60% of your gains on sales of small business stocks if you have held them for over 5 years (Section 1202 of the tax code).
  • You can roll over your gains from the sale of small business stocks if you used the money to purchase other qualifying small business stocks (Section 1045).
  • You can deduct ordinary losses on the sale of qualifying small business stock (Section 1244).

Each section of the tax code has different criteria for what qualifies as small business stock. If you are thinking of investing in small companies you should understand enough about these tax breaks to make a decision that saves you money when you fill out your return, through:

By Intuit Inc.


 Terms of Use   ::   News   ::   About Us   ::   Contact Us
Copyright © 2000 - 2008 AngelsCorner. All rights reserved.
AngelsCorner - home